It is important to maintain a steady intake of micronutrients in your diet regardless of if you are eating in a deficit, surplus or at maintenance. Macronutrients consist of fat, carbs and proteins while micronutrients are only necessary in tiny amounts. Micronutrients are critical for your body to function properly. They can be taken in capsules but yield significant benefits when eaten in their raw form as fruits and vegetables. Below are easy ways to sneak micronutrients into your diet everyday!
1. Add roasted sweet potatoes as a side to your morning eggs
2. Roast massive amounts of veggies ahead of time and eat them throughout the week
3. Roast your veggies with something mild like lemon pepper so that you can easily add them to any dish
4. Mix up your veggies weekly so you don’t get bored & try some of my favorite combinations
- a. Brussels sprouts, cut up butternut squash and cranberries is a delicious fall combo
- b. Roasted asparagus or roasted green beans are a go to because they go with basically anything
- c. Roasted butternut squash baked with Truvia brown sugar, spray butter and cinnamon is a dieters dream “dessert”
5. Always add fresh or frozen fruit on top of protein pancakes, waffles or French toast to add exciting texture, flavor and fiber!
7. Add a nutrient blast to your smoothie by adding some spinach (for longer shelf life you can freeze fresh spinach in an ice cube tray for perfectly portioned spinach)
8. Make spaghetti squash at the beginning of the week so you can throw some sauce and protein on it and voila virtually carb free spaghetti!
9. Substitute raw vegetables like carrots or pepper slices for crackers when you can and serve with hummus, guacamole or homemade yogurt dip
10. Always have frozen vegetables on hand to use when you are in a pinch
11. Pack a small salad to eat before your lunch this can include around 50g of meat of your choice or some sort of vegetable protein
12. Make “nana icecream” just add frozen bananas to the food processor and whatever your heart desires
What is your favorite way to add micronutrients into your diet? How do you sneak fruits and veggies into a picky eaters pallet? Comment to let me know!
In good health,